Dear Brothers and Sisters, a Happy and Holy Easter!
The message which Christians bring to the world is this: Jesus, Love incarnate, died on the cross for our sins, but God the Father raised him and made him the Lord of life and death. In Jesus, love has triumphed over hatred, mercy over sinfulness, goodness over evil, truth over falsehood, life over death.
That is why we tell everyone: “Come and see!” In every human situation, marked by frailty, sin and death, the Good News is no mere matter of words, but a testimony to unconditional and faithful love: it is about leaving ourselves behind and encountering others, being close to those crushed by life’s troubles, sharing with the needy, standing at the side of the sick, elderly and the outcast… “Come and see!”: Love is more powerful, love gives life, love makes hope blossom in the wilderness.
- With this joyful certainty in our hearts, today we turn to you, risen Lord!
- Help us to seek you and to find you, to realize that we have a Father and are not orphans; that we can love and adore you.
- Help us to overcome the scourge of hunger, aggravated by conflicts and by the immense wastefulness for which we are often responsible.
- Enable us to protect the vulnerable, especially children, women and the elderly, who are at times exploited and abandoned.
- Enable us to care for our brothers and sisters… and to care for those suffering from so many other diseases which are also spread through neglect and dire poverty.
- Comfort all those who cannot celebrate this Easter with their loved ones because they have been unjustly torn from their affections…
- Comfort those who have left their own lands to migrate to places offering hope for a better future and the possibility of living their lives in dignity and of freely professing their faith.
- We ask you, Lord Jesus, to put an end to all war and every conflict, whether great or small, ancient or recent.
- Lord, we pray to you for all the peoples of the earth: you who have conquered death, grant us your life, grant us your peace!
From Pope Francis’ 2014 Easter Homily